Potato salad is a combination of my favorite food things – mayo, pickles and carbs. I usually make mine with potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, gherkins, black olives, mustard and gobs of mayo. Peeking into my fridge this Easter Sunday I found a jar of chow-chow sitting next to delicious pickled okra and was inspired to make a southern twist on one of my favorite dishes.
This is my first attempt at writing a recipe. Thus, PLEASE let me know if I forgot to tell you about something. Basically this is potato salad with delish southern add-ins.
- 2 Russet potatoes
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup light mayo or more (I’m a mayo girl so mine is usually sopping with the stuff)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons prepared hot chow-chow relish
- 6 pickled okras
- 6 shakes of hot sauce like Texas Pete
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Few grinds of pepper
The To-Do Part:
- Peel, cube and boil your potatoes
- Half and slice the hard-boiled eggs
- Slice the pickled okras into .25 inch coins
- Mix everything in a bowl – mix it once more for the love of southern food
- Rest in the fridge for 1+ hours, you rest with a cold drink
- Take it out of the fridge, stir and enjoy with your family!